Who doesn't love parties and presents?
I've been planning a farewell party for my seniors at school. To fit the movie theme, I brainstormed several ideas like: red carpet! movie screening! popcorn!
Since my seniors will be the literal "stars" of the show, I made some Oscar trophies to present to them as thank you gifts. It's actually really simple, and here's how you can make some DIY Oscar statuettes! And you really only need two things:
- Gold paint (spray paint or acrylic)
- Black acrylic paint
(Ok, I know I said two things, but there are 5 items on this list. Technically though, the main materials are just paint and manikins.)
- Lay out your newspaper on the floor, and place your manikins standing upright on the newspapers, with their hands and legs spread out (to ensure even paint coverage).
- Shake the gold spray paint several times, and test out by spraying on the newspaper, before spraying onto the manikins.
- Spray (or paint, if you're using gold acrylic paint) as many coats as you desire to cover the manikins completely. Let the paint dry slightly between each coat.
- When the final coat of gold paint is dry, paint the base of your manikins with black acrylic paint. Again, paint as many coats as you wish, letting each coat dry before applying more paint.
- Leave to dry.
If you're kiasu - typical Singaporean attribute of being overly fearful or anxious - like me, place double layers in case of stains. Another tip is to layer multiple thin coats of paint, instead of one thick coat, to ensure that the paint is evenly applied.
To tie in with the Oscar/movie theme, I also made some invitation cards that resemble film reels using black and white cardstock.
Since Mother's Day is just around the corner, why not make some Oscar trophies to award your mum for being a superstar as well? These DIY Oscar trophies are literally golden gifts!